Blog the Sprog

It's a very weird thing, making a person. I honestly never thought I'd do it, but here we are... so I'm gonna tell it like it is. It's a very scary and exciting time. Yikes!

Monday, March 19, 2007

Fishy cravings


I haven't said much about my eating habits since the Cheas Naks glow baby post. Since then I have gone through some not-so-weird and some rather odd food cravings...

* Everything strawberry! From fresh strawberries, to strawberry juice, smoothies and ice-cream - if it was pink, I wanted it. I'm over that now.
* Milk - I was drinking a minimum of a litre each day... and that was aside from the milk in my cereal! I'm down to about a glass a day or less now.
* Steak - as someone who hardly ever eats red meat, this was odd for me.
* Mint crisp Cadbury chocolate - a flavour I NEVER usually eat!

Current cravings:
* Guava juice - no other juice will do.
* Eggs - want them every day.
* Salty fish - kippers, herring, haddock, anchovies... bring 'em on! ;)

8 Comments:

At 4:03 AM, Blogger Tamarai said...

Wow... Fish. I love fish. Just give in to your body and enjoy. Obviously something in there that is needed.

My mom said that with me all she wanted was oranges at one stage.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Property Girl said...

I went through at least a litre of milk a day right up until Niv's birth. Sometimes I drank a litre of milk and a litre of chocolate milk - it was insane. Craving disappeared as soon as she was born :-)

 
At 3:33 AM, Blogger dori said...

Tanya - well apparently fish is really good brain food for the baby so I'm not complaining! Just need to watch for mercury...

Lisa - yup, been through the chocolate milk thing too (forgot to mention it!) and also really want a chocolate croissant every once in a while... mmmmmmmm.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Property Girl said...

Dor, I hate fish, so I took Omega 3 supplements made from seaweed - no mercury.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Tamarai said...

Mercury? 'splain...

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger dori said...

http://www.babycenter.com/expert/pregnancy/pregnancynutrition/2657.html

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger dori said...

Hmmm... that link didn't seem to work when I pasted it in there - let's try this again:

http://www.babycenter.com/expert/pregnancy/pregnancynutrition/2657.html

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger dori said...

Oh I give up!

Here it is in a nutshell:

Question: Should I steer clear of fish now that I'm pregnant?

Answer: No, there's no reason to put the kibosh on all fish. Loaded with protein, vitamin D, and omega-3 fatty acids, fish and shellfish are an important part of a healthy diet. But you're right to be cautious. Nearly all fish and shellfish contain traces of methylmercury — a compound known to be harmful in high doses to an unborn baby's or young child's developing nervous system.

Fish absorb methylmercury from the water they swim in and the food they eat. But larger predator fish accumulate the highest levels of methylmercury from their prey because they eat more fish that are higher on the food chain and they tend to live longer. Methylmercury binds tightly to the proteins in fish muscle and remains there even after the fish is cooked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home